Peel Homicide File

Four Months and Five Guns Later: Peel Police Charge Five — Including Two 17-Year-Olds — in the Brampton Schoolyard Double Homicide (August 17, 2026)

By: Gangland Files  |  August 17, 2026  |  Rutherford Road & Kennedy Road, Brampton
5Accused Charged
6First-Degree Murder Counts
5Firearms Recovered
136Days to Public Charge Sheet

BRAMPTON — Two people were shot dead on the grounds of an elementary school in April. On Monday morning Peel Regional Police put five names and one youth-court publication ban on the file, and the shape of the charge sheet says something the press release does not: this was not treated as one shooter acting alone. It was treated as a crew.

The killings happened at approximately 10:21 p.m. on Friday, April 3, 2026, near Rutherford Road and Kennedy Road, on the grounds shared by St. Joachim Elementary School and Arnott Charlton Public School. Officers arriving on the gunfire call found an adult male with multiple gunshot wounds. A second victim, a male youth, was located a short distance away near Weybridge Trail with a gunshot wound. Both died despite emergency efforts.

Peel says the arrests were made quietly between May and July, following what investigators describe as a months-long probe. The public disclosure came Monday, August 17.

Who Is Charged With What

  • Jahnoi Bell, 21, of Brampton — two counts of first-degree murder.
  • A 17-year-old from Brampton — two counts of first-degree murder. Cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
  • A second 17-year-old from Brampton — two counts of first-degree murder, plus unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a loaded restricted firearm, knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm, careless storage of a firearm, possession of a prohibited device, possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order, and possession of a firearm with an altered serial number.
  • Mcaium Aarons, 25, of Toronto — conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, and breach of probation.
  • Jayden Christmah, 23, of Orangeville — possession of a firearm for the purpose of trafficking.
  • Firearms recovered: five — three at the homicide scene, one a short distance away, and one during a search warrant executed at a Brampton residence.
  • Custody status: all five held pending bail hearings.

Read the Two Non-Murder Charges Again

The murder counts are the headline. The other two are the structure. Aarons is not charged with pulling a trigger; he is charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, which is an allegation that people agreed in advance to do something. Christmah is charged with possession of a firearm for the purpose of trafficking — not possession, not use, but supply.

Put those two counts beside a 17-year-old accused of holding a loaded restricted firearm with an altered serial number while already bound by a firearms prohibition order, and Peel has laid out a division of labour: someone who arranges, someone who supplies, and someone young enough to be shielded by a publication ban who allegedly carries. That is the architecture this desk has been documenting all summer, from the Toronto guns-for-hire files to the recruitment patterns that run through the networks catalogued in our profile of Montreal’s street gangs.

The Chief’s Framing

Chief Nishan Duraiappah described the toll in terms of the families rather than the network. “Two lives were cut short by gun violence, leaving families and a community to grieve,” he said, adding that the investigation had been relentless and that the arrests were an important step toward accountability.

What the Chief did not say is whether Peel considers the shooting to have been carried out on behalf of, or in the course of a dispute between, any identified criminal organization. No group has been named. There is no criminal-organization count on the sheet. Until there is, this file is a five-person homicide prosecution, and Gangland Files will not describe it as anything more.

From the Schoolyard to the Charge Sheet

Friday, Apr. 3 — 10:21 p.m.Peel officers are called to Rutherford Road and Kennedy Road for reports of gunfire on school grounds. An adult male is found with multiple gunshot wounds.
Apr. 3 — The Second VictimA male youth is located a short distance away near Weybridge Trail, also shot. Both victims die despite emergency efforts. Three firearms are recovered at the scene and a fourth a short distance away.
May — The Arrests BeginPeel investigators begin taking suspects into custody. None of the arrests is announced at the time.
May–July — Search Warrant, Fifth GunA search warrant executed at a Brampton residence yields the fifth firearm.
July — Fifth ArrestThe last of the five accused is in custody. All are held pending bail hearings.
Monday, Aug. 17 — The File Goes PublicPeel Regional Police release the names of the three adults and confirm two youths are charged. Chief Nishan Duraiappah comments.

Open Questions

Peel has not released the names of the two dead, the age of the youth victim, or any account of what preceded the gunfire. It has not said whether the two 17-year-olds will face an application to be sentenced as adults, which in a double first-degree murder prosecution is the single largest variable in what happens next. It has not identified counsel for any accused, and it has not disclosed the bail outcomes.

None of the allegations has been tested in court. All five accused are entitled to the presumption of innocence, and the two youths are protected by a publication ban under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Peel Regional Police
Peel Homicide Bureau
Ontario Court of Justice, Brampton

Correction — August 17, 2026

An earlier version of this briefing, including its headline, statistics bar and timeline, stated that two firearms were recovered. Peel Regional Police reported five: three at the homicide scene, one a short distance away near Weybridge Trail, and one during the execution of a search warrant at a Brampton residence. All references have been corrected.

Primary Sources


Previous BriefingOne Man Held the Knife, the Other Stood There: Toronto Police Charge Hung Nguyen, 66, and Colin Miller, 44, With Attempt Murder in a Riverdale Back Stabbing (August 17, 2026)Next Briefing ‘If the Car There Need the Hit Squad’: A Crown Factum Puts the Project South Murder Plot on Signal, With Aliases, Prices and a Split of the Money (August 17, 2026)

Get the briefing before anyone else

Canadian organized crime, every day — arrests, takedowns, court files and the networks behind them. Free, straight to your inbox.

Trending

Discover more from Gangland Files

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading